Alcohol is a complicated topic – especially when dealing with the FAA. Each situation is treated uniquely, and your personal history plays a role.
The FAA has specific guidelines for you having a substance issue problem and they definitely don’t make it easy.
Once you are labeled as having a “substance issue” you might never be able to fly again.
This is why you have to be careful how you present your personal statements.
The “gray” areas are where they get you.
On the one hand, you could have one DUI and never be able to fly again. Or have multiple DUI’s and fly without a problem.
In this episode, you’ll discover the ins and outs of how to deal with the FAA when it comes to substance abuse issues. Plus, we reveal the tricks the FAA uses to catch you in these “gray” areas.
Show highlights include:
- How to answer question “18V” if you were arrested (even if you were dismissed) (3:21)
- Why understanding the difference between “substance abuse” and “substance dependence” can help you keep your license (8:00)
- The “special issuance” report required if you have substance dependence (8:46)
- The 6 “substance issues” requirement by the FAA that you must do to keep your license (9:09)
- Always be honest in your “personal statement” (10:28)
- The 4 things the FAA looks for when evaluating you as having “substance dependence” (11:42)